Sunday, January 6, 2013

Henna Designs: Nail Style!!

Hey everyone, I'm back at University and this somehow leads to my nail imagination going full swing, so I have a fun new manicure for you guys today. Lately I've been on this really big Henna kick, every once in a while I get a new hobby and seems like Henna is my latest obsession.

I got a kit for Christmas and have been playing around with some design ideas for my hands when it occurred to me that, "Hey, you know what would look awesome with some Henna designs? Nails!"



So that's what inspired this design here! Now, I can't take full credit for it, once I decided I was going to do a Henna design on my nails I Googled some images to see if there were any previous ones. I didn't find many, but I did find this amazing tutorial by Nail-Art Robin that had great hints on where to start.


 Now, the interesting thing about this design is that I didn't really use nail polish. I started off with 2 coats of Revlon Post Trauma Nail Treatment (I'm trying new bases out to see which helps my nails grow faster and stronger). Post Trauma leaves a really faint pink base behind, and dries off matte.


Once the base was dry, I grabbed my acrylic paints and luckily my dark brown one mimicked the colour of Henna well enough. So I simply used that with my striping brush and freehanded the designs! I topped it all off with 2 coats of Revlon Quick Dry to make them nice and shiny. 

(Oh, quick hint, make sure the acrylic is fully dry before you put the top coat on so there's no streaking!)


I am incredibly proud of how they turned out, especially since this is the first time I've freehanded something so small and complex onto my nails. And it was surprisingly easy too! Guess my practicing those Henna designs on a notebook really helped -  I'm particularly in love with the design on my thumb! 


Isn't it just great when an idea comes out just the way you envisioned it?? Have you ever had an ambitious design that in the end was very well worth it??

Check out my new version of this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment